Saturday, March 14, 2009

Poetry TV from Massachusetts

I was very happy to come across the website for HCAM, Hopkinton's Television Station. It seems to be a community access station a smallish (pop. 15,000) town in eastern Massachusetts. Amazingly, it carries two programs devoted to poetry and related perfoermance art:

Poetry in Motion is an interview format hosted by Elizabeth Lund. The website states that Poetry in Motion is a half-hour show designed for people who think "I love poetry," or "I hate poetry," or "I just don't get it." Elizabeth is a talented poet, critic, and essayist, and one of the early talent-donors in the life of the Spoken Word Series. I owe a big step in my own development as a writer to her working with me from her former position as Poetry Editor at the Christian science Monitor. There are two old episodes available on the site.

Wake Up and Smell the Poetry captures local open mic event that includes poetry of many sorts and original music hosted by Cheryl Perrault. There are several events available on the website.

Both programs are aired frequently on local TV; I didn't see a way to stream the channel on the website, but it seems both programs' pages are updated about monthly.

Check 'em out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.